Pet passport

Does your pet need a pet passport to travel?

Pet passports are needed for travel within the European Union, though some other countries can issue a passport or require one for travel to their country. Most countries around the world will require some of the information included in the pet passport to allow a pet to move there. They usually call it a health certificate instead of a pet passport. But if you will be traveling within Europe with your pet dog, cat or ferret then you will need a pet passport to ensure easy access across borders. Since the countries within the European Union has the same requirements for pets traveling, it makes sense to have an official document that can be stamped at the borders like they do human passports.

The EU countries are:

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and for now the UK as well.

If you are brining in your pet from a country outside the European Union then odds are you will need an official veterinary certificate, our team of pet travel experts can help you obtain all the documentation you may need for your pet’s travel.

Pet passports list the different treatments your pet has had. To obtain a passport you will need to provide originals of all your pet’s documents, not photocopies. The issuing vet will need to see your pet, its identity (microchip) and vaccination records and any rabies blood test results (if you have them) when you get a pet passport.

Your pet passport should include the following information:

  • Your personal information or details of ownership
  • A description of your pet
  • Details about markings & microchip identification of your pet
  • Rabies vaccination certificate
  • Rabies blood test(if needed)
  • Contact information and other details from the veterinarian issuing the pet passport.
  • If your pet is a dog and you are traveling to Finland, Ireland, Malta or the UK then proof oftapeworm treatment for your dog will also be needed.

The passport is only valid if you meet all other entry requirements which may vary if there is an epidemic or health concerns in the region.

If you are not using a pet passport and are arriving in the EU with an official veterinary certificate, your pet must arrive in an EU country within 10 days of the certificate being issued. Once in the EU it is valid for a further 4 months of travel. You should get the person who checks your pet when you arrive in the EU to sign and stamp the certificate.


You can exchange the certificate for an EU pet passport if:

  • your pet needs a rabies booster vaccination while it’s in the EU
  • you want to keep travelling within the EU after the certificate has expired.


For detailed information about pet travel within the European Union, getting a pet passport or any of the requirements for your pet’s relocation please contact our pet relocation specialists.

james with his pet cat, loki, reuniting from a move from australia to texas
December 4, 2023
A Move From Australia to Texas: Loki’s Story
pet weight before and after
November 20, 2023
Pet Weight For Travel
arden moore - pet cpr and first aid
November 6, 2023
Pet CPR Certification